The popular Golden Circle self drive tour focuses on the many star attractions of Iceland’s beautiful south. Stopping at impressive waterfalls and gleaming glaciers along the way, the tour hits all the major hot spots of the region, including the famous attractions of the Golden Circle; Geysir geothermal area, Gullfoss waterfall and Thingvellir National Park, and stunning black beaches.
Between mid September and mid April you can search for the elusive and unforgettable Northern Lights, best seen on cold and clear nights.
Between May and mid September the long day light hours give you many opportunities to enjoy Iceland’s natural wonders long into the evening.
- Visit the must-see attractions of the Golden Circle
- Travel in the footsteps of the Viking Sagas in Borgarfjordur and surrounding area
- Explore the South Coast with its black sand beaches, glaciers and volcanoes
- June – August: With an easy upgrade of your rental car to 4WD, you can travel through the highland track of Kaldidalur, a scenic mountain pass between two glaciers
- Mid-September- mid-April: Take advantage of countryside hotel locations to scout for northern lights
- Enhance your trip by adding one of our discounted activity add-on packages to create the perfect vacation that suits your interests
What you get:
- Digital itinerary with the Iceland Travel Companion.
- Electronic version of Iceland Travel Booklet. Prior to your arrival we will send you an electronic version of our Iceland Travel Guide booklet. You can start preparing yourself for your upcoming Iceland trip and be prepared for your Iceland adventure!
- Flexibility. With comprehensive maps and your own vehicle, drive at your own pace. Choose your preferred stops during the day and hunt for northern lights in the evening.
- Expertise– take advantage of our many years of experience. We plan routes that let you combine driving with good time to explore each area
- We focus on safety– We use safe cars and plan the best itineraries for road conditions in each season. We also have a 24 hour emergency line if issues arise during your visit.
**Please note that the package price is based on 4 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 5 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 4 day rental is up and use our Flybus Plus departure transfer.
- 4 nights accommodation
- 4 Icelandic style breakfasts (except arrival day)
- Rental car for 4 days with unlimited mileage, CDW, theft protection and VAT** Types of Car recommended: any type.
- GPS system with car and additional authorized driver
- Fuel Discount Card
- Car pick-up/drop-off at Keflavik international airport
- Airport Service Charge
- Customer Care Service during office hours
- Emergency phone line open 24 hours, including weekdays and public holidays
- Tablet with a new travel app called Iceland Travel Companion (picked up at Keflavik airport with your car rental). The app includes:
- Thousands of points of nature sites, historic places, and road side services that can be filtered to suit your interests
- Highlight section for each day of the tour
- Your hotel bookings with check-in and check-out dates
- Safety guidelines and the apps of the Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration
- A map view of the Iceland road trip
- In-app purchase feature to book day tours or activities directly into the app
- Iceland Travel Road Guide about Iceland in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
- Breakfast on arrival day
- International airfare
- Personal travel insurance (highly recommended)
- Admissions and activities
- Beverages, snacks, lunches, dinners unless otherwise noted in itinerary
- Guaranteed early check-in (check-in time for most hotels in Iceland is 1400 (2:00 pm)
- Guaranteed late check-out
- Any service not specifically listed under “included”
- Must be 21 years of age to rent a car, 23 years of age to rent car category 5.0 or higher.
- Our road trip packages are designed by our team of travel experts. They are created for people like you who want to experience the very best of what Iceland has to offer. To get the best value Iceland Travel has to offer, book our road trips online. Please note that changes to the packages will incur a service fee.
- With our exclusive road trip app you don´t have to worry about missing out and you will always find your way to your hotel after a full day of traveling. It is easy to book day tours and activities in the app when you are on the road.
Day 1: Arrival
Approximate distance: ca 100 km / 62 miles
Geothermal Lagoon – Flower Village – Geothermal Greenhouses
Once you have landed at Keflavík Aiport, please pick up your luggage and head through customs. Collect your rental car at the airport and proceed to your hotel. Depending on your arrival time in Iceland, it may be ideal to stop and visit the renowned Blue Lagoon where you can relax in its geothermal waters. Important: admission to the Blue Lagoon needs to be booked in advance.
October – April: Drive to your hotel in Reykjavik, the colorful capital of Iceland. (Approximate distance: ca. 50km/30 miles)
May – September: Drive along the southern coast of the Reykjanes Peninsula to the charming village of Hveragerdi for your overnight. This village is one of the few sites in the world located directly on top of a geothermal area and, because of its many greenhouses heated by hot water from nearby springs, it is often called the “flower village.” (Approximate distance: ca100km / 62miles)
Please note check-in for most hotels begins at 14:00 (2:00pm)
- Standard Lava Tunnel Tour (from Basecamp)
- Perlan – Glaciers and Ice Cave Exhibition
- ATV Black Beach Tour – from Thorlakshofn
Day 2: South Coast
Approximate distance: ca190km / 118miles
Thundering Waterfalls – Cliffs & Stone Arches – Black Sand Beaches of the South Shore
Drive along the scenic South Shore and the area near the infamous Eyjafjallajokullvolcano. This is the site of the massive 2010 eruption that stopped international air traffic. We recommend a stop at the exciting interactive new Lava Center where you’ll discover the powerful volcanic and tectonic forces that shaped both Iceland and Earth. The center has interesting exhibits for all age groups.
Continue onwards, past the beautiful Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls and Myrdalsjokull glacier, which covers powerful Katla volcano. Here it‘s possible to go snowmobiling on the glacier and hopefully get a splendid view over southern Iceland. Stop by the seafront village of Vik to explore a dramatic stretch of coastline poised between glacier-topped mountains, rugged sea cliffs and black- sand beaches. Dyrholaey* is a rocky headland characterised by a black lava arch. During the summer, thousands of sea birds and puffins nest here (puffins are generally in Iceland between mid-May and early August)
*Important: Please note that Dyrholaey is closed during nesting season, from about the middle of May until late June.
Overnight in South Iceland
Optional Suggestions: Lava Center Interactive Exhibition, Skogar folk museum near Skogafoss, snowmobiling or glacier hiking on Myrdalsjokull.
- Snowmobiling on Myrdalsjokull Glacier (from Basecamp)
- Glacier Discovery – Solheimajokull Glacier Walking Tour (from Basecamp)
- Icelandic Lava Show
Day 3: Thjorsardalur Valley – Gullfoss – Geysir
Approximate distance: ca 300 km / 186 miles
Colorful Valley – Hekla Volcano – The Famous Golden Falls – Exploding Geysers
Explore Thjorsardalur valley and its contrasting landscapes of birch woods, sandy lava fields, rivers and waterfalls. The impressive Hekla volcano towers over the region. This valley is also where you can visit the excavated site of a Viking age farm that had been destroyed one of Hekla’s eruptions.
Continue to the amazing sites of Gullfoss waterfall and the Geysir hot spring area.
Overnight in the Golden Circle area.
Optional afternoon/evening visit to the Secret Lagoon in Fludir or the Fontana Baths at Laugarvatn
Day 4: Thingvellir – Borgarfjordur Area
Approximate distance: ca 300 km / 186 miles
National Park with Geological Wonders (UNESCO) – Picturesque Fjords – Waterfalls
Visit Thingvellir National Park, site of the ancient Icelandic parliament and a jewel of nature. Here you can see the rift between the continents.
Then via either Hvalfjordur fjord or the Kaldidalur highland track (Open June-August, 4WD needed), your journey continues to the beautiful Borgarfjordur region and Reykholt, home of the 13th-century scholar Saga author Snorri Sturluson.
Return to Reykjavik in the afternoon for your last night in Iceland.
Day 5: Departure
Approximate distance: ca 52 km / 32 miles
Drive back to Keflavik International Airport and even stop at Blue Lagoon as it is on your way to the airport, if you did not have time to do it on your arrival day. *
*Please note that the package price is based on 4 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 5 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 4 day rental is up and use our Flybus departure transfer.